Highly Sensitive People

Find answers, ask questions, and connect with our community around the world.

• John

Administrator
    12/29/2022 at 11:11 am

Good topic Joyce. There are several things that help me:

1. A sugar free diet. Perhaps not for everyone, but having eliminated sugar from my life, I don’t experience the mental and emotional roller coasters that I used to. I have been doing Dr. Berg’s “healthy keto” for years. He has lots of videos on YouTube.

2. An understanding of “reactivity” as a trait of high sensitivity. This may be a life-long learning process. As with other HSP terms and topics, I think it’s important to find out what this term really refers to and not just take the term to mean as it applies to the general population.

3. Permission to do it differently. One of the most profound things about really understanding high sensitivity as a branch of evolution is that we are wired to do life differently. Our job is not to struggle to trying be like the other 70% of the population.

4. An understanding of neurotransmitters and high sensitivity. My theory is that, as a highly sensitive person, I burn through neurotransmitters more quickly because of the heightened processing in the insular cortex. Since neurotransmitters run out and have to be replenished, it makes sense that we will get fatigued more quickly in high stimulation environments (like holiday parties).

5. Connecting with safe people. I had the pleasure of spending some time on Christmas Day with a brand new acquaintance who is highly sensitive, and it turns out gifted as well. The time was healing for me. Dr. Aaron has talked about the importance of spending time with other highly sensitive people. I’m becoming a big proponent of this. All my life, I’ve been looking for my “tribe” and that tribe seems to be highly sensitive people and gifted individuals.